If you elect me as your TD, these are the issues I will prioritise:
- Prioritise investment in infrastructure and in public services, to rebuild what was lost during the recession.
- Replace the Property Tax with a Site Value Tax which would be designed to ensure protection for those unable to pay.
- Focus on creating jobs by developing Dublin West’s strengths in technology, research and tourism.
- Establish a regional network of publicly owned banks with no shareholders, where profit is retained to build core capital and interest earned from lending is re-loaned within that region.
- Convert NAMA into a national housing agency and use the land it controls to provide councils and housing associations with land for social and affordable housing
- Provide rent certainty by linking rent increases to the Consumer Price Index
- Introduce legislation to deal with failed management companies and where developments have not been properly finished.
Transport & Environment
- Increase subsidisation of public transport and link this directly to cuts in bus and rail fares.
- Support the DART Expansion Programme to increase capacity and frequency on the Maynooth line and also the Ongar-UCD Bus Rapid Transit route.
- Ensure that Ireland joins with the rest of the world in taking real measures to address climate change.
- Use the planning system to protect our green belts and to deal with flood risks.
Education & Childcare
- Increase education spending to 7% of GDP. Ensure that all schools have access to career guidance counsellors. Prevent further increases in 3rd level registration fee.
- Target investment in new schools and replacing obsolete school buildings across Dublin West.
- End discrimination in school admission on the basis of religion or special educational need.
- Support families by introducing paid parental leave and financial support for childcare through subsidies.
Health and Social Services
- Move towards a single-tier health system based on need rather than the ability to pay, funded from general taxation.
- Place a major focus on mental health through the full implementation and resourcing of the 2006 Vision for Change
- Reverse the discriminatory cuts that affected one parent families.
- Amend the Constitution to prevent privatisation of water services. Guarantee everyone a free water allowance, with charges kicking in after to deter wastage.
- Campaign for major political reform such as a directly elected Seanad and a directly elected Mayor for Dublin.
- Investigate irregularities in planning and ensure those engaged in political corruption are punished.