Fingal County Council are currently undertaking a public consultation on their proposal to develop a bicycle lane running from the Phoenix Park gates to Blanchardstown Garda Station, which will pass through Blanchardstown and Castleknock villages.
The detail of the plan can be seen in the Fingal CC offices in the Blanchardstown Town Centre or you can access them online here. The main features include:
1. The construction of new cycle tracks and improved pedestrian facilities along the route.
2. The removal of some elements of the bus lane through Blanchardstown village and the upgrading of existing bus stops.
3. The removal of some parking spaces along Blanchardstown Main Street.
4. A 30kph speed limit zone along Blanchardstown Main Street between the entrance to Ramor Park and the junction with the River Road.
5. A new crossing point over the old Navan Road between the Bell Pub and the Woods End apartments
6. Widening of the footpath along the Granard Bridge towards Castleknock Train Station, an underpass for those using the Royal Canal and the provision of two pedestrian/cyclist bridges paralleling the western side of Castleknock Road.
7. Landscaping works and tree planting along the route to replace some trees that will be removed, including a number along the Castleknock Road at Laurel Lodge.
The deadline for public submissions is 5.00pm Thursday 13th March 2014. Please send your submission to ‘Senior Executive Officer, Planning & Strategic Infrastructure Department, Fingal County Council, Main Street, Swords, Co Dublin’ or e-mail email@example.com.
While the overall scheme of the proposal is positive, there may be elements that need to be fine tuned in light of public views. If you are planning to make a submission, I would appreciate if you could send me a copy of your views at firstname.lastname@example.org